Blackcurrants are an excellent source of vitamin C and cultivation was encouraged by the Government and the Newent Estate had a significant acreage. From 1942, almost the entire British blackcurrant crop was made into blackcurrant syrup (or cordial). Most was manufactured by Carters, and distributed to the nation's children for free. (photograph of a bottle of NHS blackcurrant juice needed). By 1955 the national acreage of blackcurrants was 10,449 and had increased to 16567 acres by 1963. (MAFF data)
In 1947, Carter's moved production to the Royal Forest Factory at Coleford in the Forest of Dean. Carters was eventually was bought out by the Beecham Group in 1955 to complement their Lucozade brand, but both brands were subsequently sold on to the Japanese firm Suntory in 2013 to join their Schweppes & Orangina business. Ribena is still produced in Coleford.